Saturday, April 18, 2009

Goodbye Grandpa

Sadly, my Grandpa, James Lester Slack, died tonight after fighting a battle of very aggressive leukemia for the past 3 months. He was an amazing man and lived a long and honest life. He served amazingly in the Navy as a young man. He was on the USS Anderson during WWII. He was a great husband to my grandmother for over 60 years, was a father to 3 children, a grandfather to 7 children, a great-grandfather to 11 children, and great-great grandfather to one.

I have wonderful memories of him from my years growing up. I know often I would get to go stay the night at his house and I remember how he and Grandma would spoil me rotten. I remember his sense of humor, but also his sense of humility. I remember the great love he had for his family, and his pets alike. He was a very strong man, but very soft hearted. He will be greatly missed.

The funeral will be later this week, and I will post more about this amazing man then, but for now, here are the pictures I have of him with my children. Unfortunately these are the only ones I have on my camera of him. But I am glad I got these. These were taken shortly after Savanna was born. (yes.. the date stamp is wrong on my camera...) He was nervous when we took these pictures, because this was the first time he had held a baby since his stroke 4 years ago - He was so proud to be able to hold Savanna - and she just cooed and smiled at him. I am sad my children will not remember him as I did, but I hope they always know their great-grandfather was amazing.

For now, please pray for my grandmother, whom I am sure is greiving for her groom of 60+ years... I can't imagine how hard must be for her. He was always her rock.


Grandpa Slack, Joey, Grandma Slack, and Savanna (this is the grandmother whose maiden name is Austin, where Savanna recieved her middle name from. It's funny, but my grandma refuses to call her Savanna - to her she is Austin. I love it. :-) )

Grandpa loving on baby Savanna

Baby Savanna smiling at her Great-Grandfather!

Goodbye, Grandpa Slack. I will miss you. Thank you for teaching me the value of Family and for just being you. You have done so much for me and I will forever be indebted to you.

4 comments:

Maya said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like your grandfather was an amazing man! We'll keep your family and especially your gramma in our prayers. My grampa Brown passed a few days before Miles was born, so I remember how hard it can be.

Amy said...

Sara,
I am very sorry. Please know I will be praying for you, your family and especially your Grandma.
Your Grandpa was one in a million. Our world could sure use a few more amazing men like him.
May God give you peace.
Love,
Amy A (Amanda's friend)

Amanda B. said...

I am sad :(, yet grateful he is at peace. This was an awesome tribute to him. I love the pictures you have. Sadly, I don't have very many of him with my kids either. I just finished my post about the way the evening went down. It is a long post, but I felt I had to get it all down so I wouldn't forget.

Brandy said...

I am so sorry Sara. That is so neat that he was a part of your kid's lives. We lived too far for my kids to know my grandpa. The other one passed away right before we were married. It's sad, I don't like change like that. Things like family functions are never the same, but you have some adorable pictures of him with the kids. Great memories!